For the kids Pumpkin Decorating Contest, the first-place winner of the contest was Ella Dean of Goldsboro with her ice cream pumpkin. Second place was Skylar Owens of Pikeville with her baby scarecrow pumpkin, and third place was Heidi Nall of Goldsboro with her dragon pumpkin.
The winners received cash prizes from 97.7FM Katie Country. The winning pumpkins will also be on display at the Wayne Regional Agricultural Fair with the vegetable and fruit exhibits in the main exhibit hall.
For the Apple Dessert Contest, the first place winner was Steve Hawley of Pinkney with his apple cheesecake bars. Second place was Donna Countryman and Heather Pardue of Goldsboro with their apple betty, and third place was also Donna Countryman and Heather Pardue with their cinnamon apples.
The first-place apple dessert recipe is listed below:
Apple Cheesecake Bars
6 tablespoons of butter, melted
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 (21-ounce) can apple fruit pie filling
3/4 cup prepared caramel sauce
Coarse crystals sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Coat 9x9” baking pan with cooking spray.
3. Mix melted butter, graham cracker crumbs and sugar until crumbly. Press firmly into bottom of baking pan.
4. Separately, combine cream cheese, sugar, eggs and salt. Beat at medium to high speed, until smooth for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Fold fruit filling into cheesecake mixture. Spoon mixture evenly on top of crust. Bake uncovered 45 to 50 minutes, until filling sets. Cool completely.
6. Before serving, drizzle caramel sauce over slices, sprinkle with a little course sea salt. Refrigerate.
Mark your calendars for Pumpkin Day at the Farm Credit Farmers Market on Friday, Oct. 11. Be sure to bring your blue-ribbon-worthy pumpkin dessert for the pumpkin dessert contest. Entries will be accepted from 1-1:30 p.m. The contest is open to all ages and recipes must include at least 1 cup of pumpkin. For more information about Pumpkin Day, the recipe contest, or the Farm Credit Farmers Market, call the Wayne County Cooperative Extension Office at 919-731-1520.
The farmers market is open on Thursdays and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The farmers market is located behind The Maxwell Center at 3114 Wayne Memorial Drive in Goldsboro.